Thing You Should Know About Bullying
For Immediate Help, Call:
Stand GRAND stands in solidarity with other organizations who have taken up the fight against bullying. Please visit StopBullyingNow.com and StopBullying.gov.
- Estimated that 160,000 children miss school every day because they are scared to get attacked or intimidated by bullies. Source: National Education Association.
- American schools harbor approximately 2.1 million bullies and 2.7 million of their victims. Dan Olweus, National School Safety Center.
- One in seven students is either a bully or victim. • 56% of students have witnessed some type of bullying at school.
- 15% of all school absenteeism is related to fears of being bullied at school. • 71% of students report incidents of bullying as a problem at their school.
- In a poll of 232 kids in kindergarten through 8th grade at a Connecticut elementary school, every child claimed to have been the victim of at least one schoolmate’s or sibling’s meanness in the previous month.
- Facts About Bullying
- Suicide is the third leading cause of death among young people, resulting in about 4,400 deaths per year, For every suicide among young people, there are at least 100 suicide attempts.
- Over 14 percent of high school students have considered suicide, and almost 7 percent have attempted it.
- Bully victims are between 2 to 9 times more likely to consider suicide than non- victims, according to studies by Yale University
- A study in Britain found that at least half of suicides among young people are related to bullying
- According to statistics reported by ABC News, nearly 30 percent of students are either bullies or victims of bullying, and 160,000 kids stay home from school every day because of fear of bullying
- Bullying and Suicide